Today I had to take Little Boy into the doctor's office because his cold just kept getting worse. They diagnosed him with a bad cold and a slight ear infection. Fortunately, that was bad enough that they gave him some antibiotics. Hopefully that will help him recover soon as he's been pretty uncomfortable lately.
After dropping Sister off at school, we had an hour and a half before the doctor's appointment. I'm not fond of getting the kids all dressed and out of the house, just to return home for a short bit, then leave again. Since we'd done the grocery shopping yesterday, I decided to try a Value Village run. I began hitting VV when Sister was small. It was the first time I'd ever been home during the daytime. Staying at home made me a little claustrophobic and she loved riding in her stroller. I found when I went to regular stores I spent too much money. Plus, you can find great deals at thrift stores sometimes. Unfortunately, neither of the boys are very good about riding in the stroller and/or shopping. Why is it that only my first child enjoyed the stroller?
Anyway, I thought it'd be a good day to stop by VV. So, we did and I found out they reorganized it and have a great game section now. There were all these fun children's games that weren't missing any parts. I thought they were all $1.99/each. So Brother and I picked out four that we thought would be fun:Twister (which we actually have, but I need an extra one for Sister's friend party), Clue Jr. (Clue is one of my all time favorite games), Trivial Pursuit Jr. (which I'm normally not very good at), and (brother's favorite) Whack-a-Mole. Typically, I wouldn't be a big fan of a game that encourages you to beat an animal for fun, but recently the moles have been destroying my yard, so I gave in. When we got up to the register, I found out the games were only 99 cents each. If I hadn't needed to get moving to make Little Boy's appointment on time, I may have gone back to look for more games.
So, tonight we had a family game night. We've actually had them before, but not in a while. Brother has trouble playing games and I tend to be the one he climbs on when he gets excited, bored, or upset. Still, it was lots of fun. We first played Trivial Pursuit Jr., which I won!!! Next we played Whack-a-Mole, which no one really won since Brother just kept hitting all the moles. Finally, we played several rounds of Sesame Street dominoes since Brother's patience for a longer game like Clue Jr. was gone by then.
Every time we have a family game night, we always say, "We should do this once a week." Then, we don't. It's actually my fault that we don't since I'm often burned out in the evenings. Now that the kids are getting older, though, I really should put more effort into making sure game nights happen. The kids have fun with them and they learn from them too. Plus, we have lots of games that are fun to play with the kids and the more they play them, the better they'll get.
I also made a super supper tonight; homemade chicken pot pie Betty Crocker style. My dh and the kiddos loved it. I love finding a new recipe that is easy to do and tastes delicious. Being a picky eater, I tend to stick to things I know I love.
All in all a wonderful Thursday. Just one more day and it's the weekend. I'm still hoping the weather will hold so we can have sunshine for Brother's tee-ball game on Saturday. Wish us luck!
On a side note, I asked Sister to strip the sheets off the bunk beds last night for me while I was making dinner. She went ahead and put clean ones on them after that. How awesome! I love that I didn't have to do any of it. She's been bugging me to give her an allowance since they started talking about money during math class. So, this morning I told her I'd give her a nickel each week if she'd change the sheets on the bunk beds. She was very excited. I wonder how long it will take before she finds out that isn't even close to the going rate for allowances now-a-days. I'll enjoy it while it lasts!
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

But we know how much Sister likes her nickels! She'll catch on soon enough; you're right, enjoy it while it lasts. Child labor doesn't get much better than that!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to family game nights as well. It's going to be a little while until Hanna is ready but it a fun thing to do as a family, especially when the weather does not allow for outside play.
ReplyDeleteI love it, a nickel, poor thing, one day she will tell the story of changing sheets for a nickel and her friends will laugh at how chafted she got! I think my Mom used to get the same thing when she was Sister's age!
ReplyDelete