Recently I have had a few options open up for full-time teaching jobs next year. I'd rather do a part-time job, but none have become available. Plus, half-time child care is about 3/4 the cost of full-time. I already know the cost for the two boys full-time is equivalent to about half my full-time salary (and that is with Master's pay).
Last year I worked full-time during the session and we found a licensed home-care person through the state referral service. She was a CRAZY person!!! When we went to the "interview" she was so sweet and kind to us and the kids. Starting the first day of paid child care she was so grumpy and rude. She'd yell at us and the kids. I've never been treated that way by anyone, particularly someone I am paying. Suffice it to say, after many tears and my dh taking several days off work to watch the kids, my parents ended up watching them for the rest of my employment. All I have to say is that Home Away from Home must have been just euphemism, like when you say a skinny actress is crazy fat.
So, due to these job opportunities, I wanted to check out some child care options before I make a decision since my wonderful parents have said to make sure I have that worked out before I get another job. Thus, yesterday the kids and I stopped by this child care center that is near Sister's school.
I must say, the workers that I met seemed VERY nice. I just couldn't help thinking it reminded me of a kennel for children. The floors were cement. The workers were just sitting there watching the kids as they climbed bookshelves and crashed into each other. In one room (which was the size of my living room) they told me they can have fifteen kids on one side and twelve on the other. What? That is twenty-seven four through eight-year-olds in a room the size of my living room! My three kids seem like too many for my living room. The infant room was just a room full of cribs. They told me that they have an adult in there for every four infants. Seriously? Do the babies even get held very often then?
On top of all that, in almost every room there were at least two kids with snot running from their noses. I realize that kids' noses run a lot, but seriously, why wasn't anyone wiping their noses? That is just gross!
The kicker was the preschool program they were so proud to explain to me for Brother. It is a new thing for them since they didn't have any preschool program before. It basically consisted of drawing pictures of activities. What? That's it? Brother has been able to recognize and say every letter sound since last summer. He can count to twenty. Yet, none of that will be covered. They'll just draw pictures (they called them "plans") of what activity he wants to do next. How sad. Can that even be considered a preschool program?
So, that place is checked off the list. Where to next is the question. I can't trust the state licensing agency again. Their standards are so low you might as well not have any. I'm open to ideas. Let me know if you know of a good child care places. Particularly an in-home one. I just can't picture dropping the boys off at a kennel every day.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

With all the cribs lined up, I must admit that it does look like a kennel for children. But the daycare Julia's at does seem pretty good. It's never had even violation in the 20 years it's been open. The staff do seem to care for the most part. I like that they are always open; they don't ever call in sick.
ReplyDeletePerhaps my preference toward the facility daycare vs. home daycare is because I don't know anyone who does home daycare who I think enjoys it. The few people that I know who do home daycare only do it for the money. They have 1 or 2 kids of their own and stay at home. They think, "What's one or two more kids and I can earn extra money!" But then they whine and complain about the extra kid(s) and that their kids are jealous of the daycare kids. Plus they're kind of flaky and would take vacation or sick days with little or no notice. Maybe it's just the people I know!
And I like that in a facility daycare there's more eyes to watch what's going on.
Oh wow...that doesn't sound nice at all! I wouldn't be leaving my child there either. So far Jeremy and I have not had to do childcare, but if we did we were thinking about the in home daycare. I had several friends in my college nursing program who did this while going through nursing school. I was even thinking about it when I was a nursing student but was busy with soccer at the time. As long as you follow your gut you'll be fine! Good luck with everything!
ReplyDeleteGood luck Nicole! We are in the process of looking for childcare. We had our firs tour today and we both liked it but they do not have room for us. We are on a waiting list. I have another appointment later this afternoon and I hope that one it is a safe and inviting place and two they have room. I am a planner and hope that we don't end up on a ton of waiting lists.
ReplyDeleteWhat school districts are you thinking to teach in?
Have a great day, enjoy the sun :)
~ H