Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday Crown of Thorns

Lent has begun. We all received our ashes today (though you can't see them on their foreheads anymore now) and we also made our Crowns of Thorns. Every year we start Lent with our Crowns of Thorns. These "thorns" remind us of the pain that Jesus suffered for our sins. Throughout Lent, as we do good deeds for others, we take out thorns from the crowns as our good deeds make Jesus happy. By Easter all our thorns will be removed and we will paint these crowns with gold paint and decorate with jewels as they will become Easter Crowns. This reminds us that after Jesus suffered for our sins, he opened the gates of Heaven and was crowned king of heaven and earth.

4 comments:

  1. I love this!! Would love to do it next year when the Wee Ski is a bit older...do you have a recipe for the crowns? I'm guessing from the foil you bake them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a neat idea! maybe we will make some a bit late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the past I always used a salt dough. This year, though, I used a playdough receipe and it didn't bake up nicely at all. The trick is to make sure you really twist the toothpicks in the dough before you bake. If you don't, they wont come out very easily. One year we ended up just breaking them off. (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea...need the recipe -- maybe for next year.

    ReplyDelete